This is what I have found on my search for information about the Choquequirao trek (there is also the possibility to continue to Machu Picchu):
– The trek to Choquequirao can cost from $190 to $480 per person in the most popular 4D/3N choice. There is also the 5D/4N trek.
– From Choquequirao you can continue towards Machu Picchu. It is important to know that you do not reach Machu Picchu along the Inca Trail. At some point of the hike, you take a bus to Santa Teresa, and then continue to Aguas Calientes and Machu Picchu.
– The trek Choquequirao – Machu Picchu can last from 7 to 9 days and prices vary from $400 to $1200 and even more per person (1).
– All these prices are from travel agencies I checked along the Plateros, Procuradores and Suecia streets, just off the main square of Cusco.
– You may have to wait a few days to be part of a group in case you want to lower these prices. Basically, those prices are for a private tour.
For Independent Travellers:
– You can get basic information and even see a very simple drawing of the route in the Tourist Information Office at Calle Mantas, one block away from the main square.
– Bookstores sell the Trekking Cusco Topographic Maps. It has 6 routes (Choquequirao to Machu Picchu, Inca Trail, among others) and it costs from S/20 to S/28 (1).
– South American Explorer has also that map even though it is more expensive (S/35 members, S/40 non members). They also sell maps of the Instituto Geográfico Nacional IGN for S/60 each (1).
– A guidebook you may want to read about this trek is Frontprint´s Cuzco & the Inca Heartland by Ben Box and Steve Frankham even though I have a doubt since they do not mention the town of Collcapampa on their way down from Totora to Santa Teresa. Anyway, it is a good reference.
– By the way, the entrance to Choquequirao is S/45 according to the Tourist Information office on Calle Mantas, one block off the main square. Incorrect!!! Thank to one of my readers, lorenesudamerica, for the current information about the price to enter this site. Actually, it is S/38 as my ticket also assures me.
Ok, that is what I got so far about this trek. Do you have more information or questions about this trek? You are welcome with your comments then!!!
(1) Prices are as of August 2013.